Master's Charity 2017/18
WellChild is the national UK children's charity making it possible for children and young people with exceptional health needs to be cared for at home instead of hospital, wherever possible.
WellChild Nurses provide essential care and practical support to children and young people with exceptional health needs and their families. They play a crucial role in enabling children to leave hospital and be cared for at home, reducing the practical, emotional and financial impact for families.
WellChild Nurses respond to the needs of individual children and families. Typically their role involves:
- Planning and co-ordinating a child’s transition from hospital to home, ensuring that all necessary equipment, care and support is in place for the child and family.
- Being the nominated key worker to co-ordinate the child’s care once at home – in particular facilitating communication between health, social and educational services.
- Providing nursing care in the family’s home, such as dressing changes or administering intravenous medication – limiting the need for regular trips to hospital for routine medical care.
- Training parents and carers in the use of equipment such as ventilators and feeding tubes.
- Providing emotional and practical support day to day and, crucially, at times of crisis.
- Arranging respite care to give parents a much-needed break.
- Providing information and advice on services – i.e. specialist schools, equipment and financial support.